KYOCERA Encourages All Seafair Attendees to Recycle Unwanted Cell Phones; Provides Free Long-Distance Service for Active Military and Veterans
Each Recycled Phone Funds 30 Minutes of Free Long-Distance Service for Military Personnel; Helps Keep 'The Emerald City' Green
SAN DIEGO - July 28, 2015 - Kyocera Communications, Inc. and Cell Phones For Soldiers, a national nonprofit dedicated to providing cost-free communication services to active-duty military members and veterans, are once again extending a helping hand to active military members and veterans by funding free long-distance phone service to help them stay connected to their families and loved ones. Seattle residents attending Seafair are encouraged to recycle unwanted cell phones to contribute to this great cause. Each phone is recycled for its materials, funding 30 minutes of talk time for military members stationed away from their homes and families.
Collection boxes will available at several Seafair locations, including:
•Kyocera's booth located next to the Hydroplanes 101 exhibit in Genesee Park
•Seafair Guest Services stations at Genesee Park
Nearly 2 billion mobile phones are sold each year globally and, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, only 13 percent of unused phones are recycled in the United States, with the remaining 87 percent going to landfills or incinerators. Kyocera is a longstanding supporter of Cell Phones For Soldiers and has already provided more than 50,000 minutes of long-distance service to date through past recycling programs. Kyocera is commemorating the launch of its new Hydro WAVE waterproof, drop-proof smartphone with the recycling program and through a sponsorship of the Hydroplanes 101 exhibit at Genesee Park at the Seattle Seafair.
"At Kyocera, sustainability has long been a part of how we think and work, and our hope is that the citizens of Seattle and all of the attendees at Seafair will join us on this mission to reduce e-waste and help keep the brave men and women of our armed forces connected to their families at home," said Chuck Becher, vice president and general manager of sales and marketing at Kyocera Communications. "It is a great honor to once again partner with Cell Phones For Soldiers, and we encourage anyone with old cell phones lying around at home to please support this great cause."
About Kyocera Communications, Inc.
Kyocera Communications Inc. is the headquarters for Kyocera wireless devices in the Americas. Designed with durability, dependability, and long-term value as priorities, Kyocera mobile phones help people feel comfortable with new technology and use it to connect, perform and outsmart life's challenges. At the heart of Kyocera's products is a belief that one size doesn't fit all and that people should do more with phones instead of being confused by them or having to alter their lifestyles to accommodate them. For more information, follow the company at facebook.com/KyoceraMobile or twitter.com/kyoceramobile.
Kyocera Corporation (NYSE:KYO) (TOKYO:6971) (global.kyocera.com), the parent and global headquarters of the Kyocera Group, was founded in 1959 as a producer of fine ceramics (also known as "advanced ceramics"). By combining these engineered materials with metals and integrating them with other technologies, Kyocera has become a leading supplier of solar power generating systems, mobile phones, printers, copiers, electronic components, semiconductor packages, cutting tools and industrial ceramics. During the year ended March 31, 2015, the company's net sales totaled 1.53 trillion yen (approx. USD12.7 billion). Kyocera appears on the latest listing of the "Top 100 Global Innovators" by Thomson Reuters, and is ranked #552 on Forbes magazine's 2015 "Global 2000" listing of the world's largest publicly traded companies.
About Cell Phones For Soldiers
Cell Phones For Soldiers is a national nonprofit dedicated to providing cost-free communication services to active-duty military members and veterans. Founded in 2004 by Robbie and Brittany Bergquist, then 12 and 13 years old, Cell Phones For Soldiers has provided more than 216 million "Minutes That Matter" to servicemen and women. Since 2012, "Helping Heroes Home" has provided emergency funds for more than 2,800 veterans to alleviate communication challenges as well as physical, emotional and assimilation hardships. For more information, visit www.cellphonesforsoldiers.com, Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and Pinterest pages.
©2015 Kyocera. All rights reserved. Kyocera is a registered trademark of Kyocera Corporation. All other marks are properties of their respective owners.
For more information, contact:
Kyocera Communications, Inc.
Echo Media Group for Kyocera
phone: 714.573.0899 x227